When trying to live a healthy lifestyle pizza, delicious ooey gooey pizza, is something you should never have to give up. While I always recommend eating anything you want in moderation, if your looking for a healthier way to to indulge more often then keep on reading…
While I myself get daily e-mails from papa johns, I try to limit getting “real” pizza to once a month or less (not purposefully just some months I go without it). However, I did come up with a way to have a healthy cheesy pizza at home within 15 minutes.
What you will need:
- Whole Wheat Tortilla
- Cheese of choice (I used fat free mozzarella but you can use whatever cheese you want! I’ve also used regular mozzarella and Munster cheese and some Parmesan are good choices as well, or try a blend!)
- Tomato sauce (when picking a tomato sauce I always pay attention to the amount of sugar in it- the one pictured here only has 6g of sugar per serving, but I’ve found one I think as low as 4g/serving)
- Seasoning: I usually use Italian seasoning but I did not have any on hand so this time I used garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Toppings: You can top your pizza with whatever you want! You’ll see in mine I used green bell peppers but try pepperoni, sausage, chicken, onions, black olives, artichoke hearts, ham, pineapple … you get the idea.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lay out a flour tortilla on a baking sheet (I sprayed mine to make sure nothing stuck but not sure if this is necessary)
- Spread on a layer of pasta sauce
- Sprinkle on cheese and seasoning
- Place on toppings
- Cook in oven for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown
And that’s it! Using the same ingredients I did and for the entire pizza it is only 227 calories, 27g carbs, 4g fat, and 22g protein. And you get all the taste of a crisp crust, melted cheese, and hot sauce. I’ll take that any day.
It may not compare to this:
But on those days when you are craving pizza but don’t want to end up eating your body weight in pizza, give this one a try!
Hope you like it 🙂